Monday, July 11, 2011

Patiently listening to others helps to understand them

I still remember my experience when I gave recollection to one of the first year sections in Liceo De Bay, Laguna last December 2008. I noticed that the group I handled had an active participation. Besides, when I crack some jokes they were all laughing. When I narrate sad stories, almost all of them were weeping with tears. When I instruct them for some group activities, they were all doing my instructions. Yes, all of them were actively participating in the recollection! But except for one! Except for this one little skinny boy who was sleeping with half-closed eyes that time of recollection. He was snoring like a horse with an open mouth. And this caught my attention!

I approached him, woke him up and scolded him in front of his classmates. But nothing happened. No effect! He just opened his eyes for a while, he closed it again, and he continued sleeping. I did not understand why this little skinny boy is sleeping while most of his classmates were very active participating in the recollection activities. I ended the recollection that day bearing in myself the query for that little skinny boy’s attitude.

After some few days from the day I gave recollection, around 10:00 in the evening, I went to Los BaƱos to buy some chichiria. While walking along the bangketa or pathway, there was somebody who is calling me. When I turned myself directing to the person who is calling me, I was so surprised because I saw the little skinny boy calling my name. But this time, he was so energetic and lively. I asked him what he is doing. He said: “Brother, every night until early in the morning, together with my grandmother, I’m selling balot and cigarette so that we may have money to buy foods for our family and I may have money for my expenses in the school.” This time I did not scold him. I was patiently listening to him. Eventually, I realized and learned a lot from his life experience. Now, I understand why he was very sleepy during our recollection.

Indeed, patiently listening to others makes to understand them.

No comments: