Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Amy-Jill Levine’s “Jesus and Judaism: Why the Connection Still Matters”

Before, I was looking at my Catholic practices as if the only source of the salvation of all. I was looking at it as the original one. I had a “negative caricature” of the Jews based on my wrong understanding of Jesus approach to the Jews and Judaism. But after reading Levine’s article about the connection of Jesus and Judaism, I understand now better and deeper the background of Jesus, not only based on my perceptual view and bias as Catholic, but also based on the context of Judaism. I agree with Levine saying: “we judge, finally, not on the basis of what we believe in, but on the basis of how we act.” This is her statement that I really liked most; because it helps me to consider, not only my disposition and reception to study Jesus according to my faith and what I believe in but rather to consider also, my action that invites me to go to an objective approach – that is: without bias and without narrowing my mind by my subjective belief “fixations” – by aligning it with other views and by considering other accounts from others. Levine gave me important points to consider of how I will study Jesus Christ, not only in my knowledge of “the second person in the Holy Trinity,” but also as “Jesus, the Jew.” For this reason, to appreciate more my studies in theology means I have to appreciate its nature, sources, background (both historical and cultural), development (or transformation) and connection in the perspective of other religions – in particular, the Judaism. For me, Levine’s article was written with balance analyses and sound judgment, unbiased bases and was inferred with stability and conviction. Accordingly, it motivated me to open the horizon of my understanding of Judaism in a “new eye” position. It removed my “myopic” vision of my understanding of Jesus and Judaism. For this, I thank Judaism for their relevant contributions for making my understanding of Jesus profound and studying of Jesus holistic in my journey of faith.

No comments: