Thursday, August 4, 2011

TAILORED FOR MISSIONARY VOCATION



In the diagram that was presented to us by our professor in Missionary Spirituality, I learned that the vocation to become a missionary is not an easy decision. I realized that a candidate who wishes to become a missionary passes through series of tests, challenges and scrutinium. 


Aside from the personal discernment of a candidate, his/her superiors and formators are also discerning for his/her "suited-ness" or "fitted-ness" to a "vocation within a vocation," or called as missionary vocation.


Moreover, the discernment to become a missionary is not just an individual task. Instead, it is a communal task to discern (plus to help) a candidate in his/ her vocation. Of course, the candidate's talents, skills and inclinations will be considered also.


I learned that candidate's consistency of words and actions, personal conviction, pure intention and right motivation will be highly considered in the communal discernment.


In the final analysis, spiritual discernment is for the candidate's good and not for his/ her destruction. It helps him/ her, I think, to discern whether he/ she is "tailored for" missionary vocation.


To end this, let me quote the words from a Jesuit missionary, Richie Fernando:

"I know where my heart is. 
It is with Jesus Christ, 
who gave his all for the poor, the sick, the orphan ...
I am confident that God never forgets his people: 
our disabled brothers and sisters. 
And I am glad that God has been using me to make sure 
that our brothers and sisters know this fact. 
I am convinced that this is my vocation/ mission.
I am a Jesuit.
I know where my heart is." 


And you-
do you know 
where your heart is?



Do you know where are you
tailored for?

No comments: